Carretera Federal Cancún-Playa del Carmen Km. 48, 77710 Riviera Maya, Q.R., Mexico
3.4
Facilities and Services
Quality of Food

The 'compound' grounds were beautiful, food was great, people were friendly, but when it came to getting around, or getting directions, and/or getting your car, it was a disgrace. Felt like I was a prisoner within the compound.

Shuttles, Color-Coded, were frequent, but when you call concierge or driver of a shuttle to ascertain how to get from Point A to Point B was maddening and not always told the same Color Shuttle to get to A to B. It felt like mass transit in slow motion and no air conditioning. Also, all rooms at The Grand Mayan that faced the Shuttle path/street, was LOUD as Shuttles ran from 7am until after midnight. Felt like we were on a freeway.

We asked to be moved across the hall to the side where there was no Shuttle transports all a.m./p.m. We were told at 10am that the Room across the Hall was vacated. We were not allowed to actually 'move' our luggage, etc. until after 5pm!

Also, our car was NOT kept at The Grand Mayan Hotel where we stayed. (There are five hotels within the compound.) Cars were held at a separate lot and two Shuttles had to be taken to get to your car. Insane. We had to take TWO shuttles each time/way to get/return our car.

Also, each time, both ways, it was intimated we had to 'tip'. Again, insane. Coming and going from the compound, was like being interrogated. We had to check-in and check-out at a gated entrance each time.

Vidanta did NOT provide a rearview mirror tag to designate a vehicle parked in compound to make coming and going much smoother. We would always have to repeat our room number multiple times because Attendants at entry/departure gate did not always know single-digit English numbers, such as 1-5-6-3. Again, insane. We have been to playa del Carmen over six different trips.

Vidanta is not an all inclusive property.

We/I will never return to this property. Also, beach area was full of corral and not appropriate for getting in water in most places, except the immediate shoreline of about one foot of water.

Review about: The Grand Mayan Hotel Facility.

Reason of review: Transport at facility, etc. as outlined.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments

Have to totally agree, vidanta is a tourist prision. I'm a ultra runner, and I knocked over several people trying to run their pathetic "running trails" it was like containing a cheetah in a cage with a bunch of small animals, of course someone was going to get hurt.

So Vidanta Resorts is like a prison. I have visited a distant relative in prison, and his accommodations were far less luxurious than any of Vidanta's compounds. I agree that ground transportation is slow at Vidanta's Mayan Riviera property, but when I am on vacation I'm in no hurry.